Prepping for Summer Crops 2015
Rain – A few spits on Saturday but clear, fine weather rest of the week
Temp – 2C to 17C
Frost – Mild most mornings with morning fog
- Veggie Patch – Finished weeding final bed, covered in mushroom compost. Spread blood and bone.
- Orchard – Weeded trees in chook pen and food forest, garlic growing around every tree.
- Front Garden – Bob cat scraped and shaped. Shoveled dry billabong, berms, marked out path and trees
- Chickens – All chickens have mites and deformed leg scales. One black and one brown hen both have bumble foot.
- Food Forest
- Shrubs – One currant bush well into leaf. Second currant bush dead.
- Herbaceous Understorey – Comphrey starting to grow
- Ground Cover – Blossoms have finished, starting to leaf
- Apple “Granny Smith” – Leaves budding but no blossoms
- Pear “Packham” – Dog has taken branches off and chewed it down to the stump. No sign of life, will have to see if it comes back
- Nectarine “May Grand” – Blossoms have finished, leaves starting
- Nectarine “Dwarf” – Dwarf graft completely dead but root graft growing shoots, several blossoms and profuse leaves
- Apple “Pink Lady” – Starting to leaf, no blossoms yet
- Cherry “Bing” – One main branch is dead, second main branch have buds but not yet opened
- Pear “Williams” – Looks healthy but buds not yet opened
- Plum “Mariposa” – Very vigourous growth. Blossoms have finished and starting to leaf
- Cherry “Van” – Some branches dead, blossoms have finished now starting to leaf
- Plum “Satsuma” – Major branch and several offshoot branches are dead, no blossoms on healthy branch, buds unopened look ok.